Sunday, May 17, 2015

Rules, rules, and more rules : Beneficial to professional social media, or an unnecessary hinderance?

As I read through the assigned list of articles this week for my MLIS 7505 class, I kept coming across the subject of libraries adhering to policies, guidelines, best practice, etc. in relation to their social media use. One article in particular stood out to me as I started reflecting on the social media situation I am in at my own job. In an extensive article by Taylor and Francis, Use of social media by the library: Current practices and future opportunities, the author quotes Troy Swanson (Department Chair and Teaching & Learning Librarian at Moraine Valley Community College). In the discussion of whether or not libraries should take the time to write detailed literature on social media use, Swanson “warns of ‘over thinking’ social media and encourages libraries to avoid creating detailed social media plans (which can be very time-consuming) and instead concentrate on defining policies, workflows, best practice and guidelines” (18). When I read that, all I could think was, “YES.”

Normally, I am all for detailed plans, guides, rules. I am a person that likes structure and organization, but that does not mean that I am blind to the fact that sometimes there needs to be a bit of leniency to allow creativity and progress. My latest experience with social media in the library has left me yearning for a just a smidge of freedom.

I work for a wonderful college that is spread out over 7 distinct locations, each with its own personality. One of my superiors approached me about heading up the social media for my particular library, which I have been very excited to begin. As of yet, I have not been able to start this project because we are all waiting on the marketing department to develop the new social media guidelines that will unite the social media endeavors of all the libraries. A uniformed set of guidelines is a great idea, especially when there will be up to seven social media pages representing one organization as a whole. However, the process has been spread out over several months, and work on the project is still at a standstill for those of us actually in the library. I have no idea what the marketing department is developing, but I hope there is no “over thinking” of this process. Keep in mind, our department has a difficult task in front of them. If they let the campuses run free, different branches could reflect conflicting messages about the college. On the other hand, the guidelines might be so detailed, that the various branches won’t have the room to reflect any of their individual personalities that they are known for.

For now, I remain in anticipation.  

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the dangers of over-thinking social media! Particularly when your target demographic is college students, who can smell a poser from a mile away! Of course there should be ground rules, such as no profanity, but social media is about expressing a personality in a way that can't be quantified with rules. I mean, much the same way that our assignment is to create blog posts and not "write a post about this, then one about that, then one about this", whoever is in charge of the library's Twitter or Facebook account should be trusted to represent the library respectfully, but also allowed the freedom to express themselves creatively.

    ReplyDelete