Thursday, May 14, 2015

An Introduction and New Experiences on Social Media


Hey, I'm Danielle Navarro, a librarian assistant with an almost unnatural love for reading and the calming affect of libraries.This blog will follow my experiences throughout my Applied Technologies 7505 graduate course, as I aspire to become a professional librarian. This semester I am on the quest to discover more about new technologies in a professional setting. I have never been much for blogging, since I share only a minuscule amount of my personal life on social media. It will be interesting to see how my feelings on blogs develop over the course of this semester.

Our first topic of discussion, for any random visitors to this page, is "Web 2.0" and "Library 2.0." From what I have gathered, regarding Web 2.0, I have only begun to dabble in this emerging, collaborative world of the Internet. However... it seems my dabbling has primarily been personal. Unless of course you count the 50+ "Tweets" I posted for a Young Adult Lit class. Alas, my familiarity with Web 2.0 in a work setting is not where I would like it to be. Especially since my boss has asked me to create and manage my library's social media (I'm just waiting on the guidelines from marketing). I guess I'm am taking MLIS 7505 right at the perfect time!

I look forward to learning from my peers' experiences, and hope to share a few of my own along the way.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dani,
    The site looks great. We'll be learning to navigate together.
    Take care,
    Cherese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I fiddled around with Tumblr before for a different class, but I've never maintained a blog that is the "online diary" type. It's all a learning experience.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to hear more about what your marketing department does. Sounds like you're going to get to put your new knowledge to work soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh the marketing department. I was actually going to write my next post on this subject. I work for a college that is spread out among 7 different campuses. I get emails from higher ups with branding guidelines, email protocol, etc., but I've never met anyone in the college's marketing department as of yet. Their office is located at the big downtown Jacksonville campus, and I am at a more rural campus further north in Florida. From what I've been told, the marketing department controls the "brand" of the college. Right before I got the job, apparently the marketing department shut down all social media for individual campuses until it could devise a set of guidelines for all campuses to follow on social media, so the various sites will look uniform. Our current slogan is "One College." I was asked if I would head up the social media for our campus once the guidelines were developed, and that was a couple of months ago. I am still waiting for the go ahead from the dean of the library, and she is still waiting on marketing.

      Delete
  3. Hi Danielle,
    I love your blog site; especially the colors. I think it's great that you will be able to apply what you learn in this class to your new job duties as the social media librarian. Good luck and keep us abreast of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! It took me quite a while before I decided on my blog's "look". I am anxiously awaiting the chance to get started on my library's social media. I have already learned so many new techniques from this class.

      Delete